Thursday, July 23, 2009

Levi's Waffles

This is my favorite new recipe. I am not sure of its origin, Raini found it somewhere and after it became a staple food in her household for her little guy, it was dubbed "Levi's Waffles" and that's how we know them around here!

This is a vegan recipe, but for those of you who aren't vegan and don't want to try a new recipe that you think might taste like sawdust when you get all done - this is the recipe for you! My kids love them, I love them, and if you make up a big batch and freeze them, they can easily take the place of Eggos for a quick morning meal. Cool completely before freezing and reheat in the microwave or oven, or even the toaster!

Levi's Waffles:
1 c. soaked soybeans
1 c. flour
1 c. quick oats
1/4 c. cornmeal
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbl. sugar
1/3 c. oil
1 tsp. vanilla
3 c. water

Blend until smooth, pour into waffle iron sprayed with your preferred cooking spray.

First off - the soybeans. Get some dried soybeans through your co-op or at your local health food store. Soak a big bowl of them overnight in water, drain off in the morning and measure the soaked beans for your recipe. Don't measure before you soak, you'll end up with too much and the waffles will be very thick and chewy. If you have left over soaked beans, measure them out into baggies and freeze for later.

Secondly, I use a mixture of white bread flour and whole wheat flour when I measure in the flour. I generally do half and half, or a little tipped in favor of the whole wheat. You can experiment with what you like best.

I like to double my recipes, or in the case of my oat burgers, quadruple the recipe (or more). I do the same with this recipe, but have found that my VitaMix doesn't..Quite.. hold a full double. So I cut the water down to 5 1/2 c. (instead of 6) and it turns out just fine. We eat more than 1 recipe in a single breakfast just the kids and I, so we have to double just to feed everyone!

Also, be SURE to spray the waffle iron before attempting to cook the first waffle. It's not pretty if you don't. And then you have to clean up and start over. And the kids just get hungrier and hungrier, lol!

And whatever you do, don't try to whizz the beans and just the water to make more room for the rest of the ingredients. It just makes FOAM. A lot of foam. Foam pouring over the sides and down the edge of the counter foam.

Other than that, lol!, the recipe is hardy and difficult to ruin, and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...