Thursday, August 02, 2012

The Feel of Cheap Things On My Skin




I *like* the feel of cheap things on my skin. 





Raindrops falling softly on a spring day.

Flannel sheets on a cold winter night.

My husbands arms around my waist.


The sand between my toes at the edge of the Torch Lake Sandbar.

Silky baby hair brushed between my fingers.

Soft, warm kitty fur against my cheek.

Ice cold creek water against bare skin on a hot, sticky summer night.


 Wind through my hair on a drive with my husband.

A hot shower after a long night up with babies.

Big kid hugs and baby's butterfly kisses.


Sometimes I feel a bit deprived without the luxuries I see someone else enjoying, but if I stop to really think about it....

No amount of money in the world could come up with anything but "cheap" substitutes for the real-deal things I've listed above. I'd rather have my feet in the sandbar than in a pair of Louboutins. I'd rather run my fingers through a baby's silky hair than over dupioni drapes. I'd rather have the wind through my hair riding shotgun in my husband's old truck that's paid off and way more function than fancy than in a Bentley. I'd rather dive into Torch Lake than take a Caribbean vacation. I'd rather have those flannel sheets than 1200 thread count Egyptian cotton sateen confections!

Okay, that last one is a poor example of real-deal vs. expensive substitute, but flannel sheets just absolutely ROCK when you live in the cold white north. "Uninhabitable", as my dad says!

So next time I am tempted to feel deprived, I'm going to look around and think of the things in my life that are the Real Deal. I'm going to stop to thank God for them, enjoy them, and appreciate them for what they are:

"Cheap" things that make me one of the richest women in the world.

3 comments:

Nabila Grace said...

Love :o) But you already knew that ;o) <3 Our "cheap" things in life never loose their value as luxuries may depending on what's in or out. :o)

Raini said...

Well said! Both Lisa and Nabila. I know when I look at the jewel in my crown that represents the time, sweat and tears I put into showing my child the love and sacrifice of Jesus no amount of vacations, vehicles, houses, or money will matter in the least. We are rich girls indeed.

Rachel said...

Thanks for the perspective Lisa. I forget those things. Another cheap thing is my newborn's sweet milky breath and silky soft chubby cheeks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...